Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day One? Survived.

Oh my gosh, I was so nervous for today! I had a serious case of first day jitters last night and this morning. Of course, everything turned out fine.

We all woke up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed around 6:30 this morning and ran around getting ready. We snapped a quick first day of school picture before heading out the door. Once we got to school we had breakfast in the cafeteria and then headed on over to Mr. Rundle's office. We hung out there for a few minutes before he took Amanda, Brittany, and I over to the Elementary wing.

Flat Stanely in my supervisor's office
Once Mr. Rundle dropped us off, we met with our supervisor, Barrie. She went over the rules and expectations with us and then took us to our classrooms. I'm in first grade with Ms. Souza, Ms. Cruz, and 19 wild kiddos. We missed a big chunk of the morning lessons, but I was able to watch their Portuguese class and the afternoon lessons.

First grade!
The students were all really excited to have me in their classroom and that calmed my nerves a lot. The hardest part is going to be getting them to speak to me in English. They are required to speak English in the classroom, but many of them carry on conversations with each other in Portuguese. Then they continue to talk to me in Portuguese and, of course, I don't understand a word they are saying. Hopefully I can pick up bits and pieces a long the way, but it's certainly going to be a challenge!

The veranda.
I came home worn-out and exhausted, but excited to go back for another day. So far I love what I have experienced at OLM and cannot wait to really jump in.

No comments:

Post a Comment