Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Missing Out? Or Just Missing?

Sometimes quotes and thoughts from other people can sum up my feelings better than I can. We all have our strengths and mine certainly isn't putting my feelings into words.

My dear, dear friend, Nicole, seems to be living the same life as me, just a year later. She's completing her student teaching in Sarasota, Florida right now and posted this blog entry a couple of days ago. Thank you, thank you, thank you Nicole. For finally putting into words how I have been feeling for the past nine months of my life.

"While discussing Ashland over the weekend, I stated that I hadn't realized how much I was going to miss by being here. I decided to student teach in the fall rather than the spring to avoid missing those unforgettable senior moments, but what I hadn't thought about was the events and experiences that only occur during the fall, of which I won't be able to go to this year, and likely ever again. The soccer, football, and volleyball games I've always gone to, Homecoming weekend, team bonding, and so many more.

But while I was thinking about all of this, a friend questioned whether I was missing these things, or missing out on these things. In other words, was I actually upset about not being there for those events and experiences, or was I just thinking about all of the things I can't go to, even if they really don't mean that much to me. This was a complete eye-opener. Sure I am missing out on going to those games or having those experiences, but the only things I seem to truly be missing are the people back in Ohio and the experiences that those events allow me to create with those people.

This morning I was struggling a lot with this, but throughout the day, it became obvious how miniscule those events are compared to the opportunities I have here. I have met so many amazing people here and have already learned things I probably never would have had I stayed in Ohio. I still miss my family and friends in Ohio, but I would never trade those events that I'm missing out on for the experiences I have had, can have, and will have here."

My favorite line? "Sure I am missing out on going to those games or having those experiences, but the only things I seem to truly be missing are the people back in Ohio and the experiences that those events allow me to create with those people."

No comments:

Post a Comment