Saturday, August 8, 2015

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

More than I care to admit, I think that teaching was pretty accurately summed up in Spiderman.


One of my students has had an emotionally difficult year and it all seemed to catch up with her today. At the end of the day, she came to me sobbing, so we sat together on the bleachers in the front court while she talked it out. But mostly so she could just cry.

In the midst of trying to comfort her with my best teacher advice, I was (selfishly) thinking about how special it was that this particular student chose to come to me in her time of distress. Out of all of her friends and all of the teachers in the school, she searched me out. She wanted to be with me.

And then I realized, oh gosh, she chose to come to ME.

The students who sit in my classroom each day didn't chose to be on my class list. But every day we work through all sorts of things together. Every day they come to me to help them solve problems, whether they be academic, personal, social, or something else entirely. Every day they are trusting ME to be there for them.

Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way, but wow. Talk about pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment