Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bienvenidos a Comunidad Educativa Evangelica!

Wow, this week has been such a whirlwind of people and emotions. We've had training/ orientation each day along with time to work in our classrooms and it's been a little overwhelming. It's been awesome, but it's a lot. It's crazy to think that less than a week ago I was hanging out in Ohio and here I am now setting up a classroom in HONDURAS.

I've met so many new and wonderful people this past week. I think that our team of English teachers is incredible and so enthusiastic-- if the rest of the year is anything like this past week, it's going to be nothing short of amazing. Not only have I met a lot of Americans, but I have met (or reunited with) many Hondurans. I'm so excited for the opportunity to immerse myself into another culture and to build relationships with all of these people.

My Spanish skills are not where I left them and I am slightly disappointed by this. I felt confident in my abilities while I was in the States, but actually having to use them is a completely different story. Thankfully, I have many people to practice with while I am here. Many patient people.

Not only have things been rockin' and rollin' here at the school and in my classroom (which has had to get worse before it could get better), I've also been able to meet up with some of the girls I had met when I was down here in 2008. Sindy and Yessenia picked me up at my house on Tuesday and we went downtown for ice cream at Kobs. Sindy pointed out the hotel that we stayed at when I was here before, so I finally recognized something. We walked to the church where the pastor picked us up for Bible Study. Oh my gosh, the house looks so different now than it did when I was here before! It has a second story. And walls and a roof and a real bathroom. My jaw dropped when I saw it.

Coming down here to has been a major adjustment as well as a huge adventure. There are a lot of things that are different as well as a little bit scary, but I know that this is where I am supposed to be. I know that there will be difficult days and times ahead, but I also know that the good times will outweigh the bad. What an adventure it's about to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment