Monday, February 18, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

February 14. Valentine's Day. A holiday that you either love or hate, I have yet to meet anyone who is just neutral about Valentine's Day. If you aren't keen on the idea of a holiday centered solely around love and hearts and gooey things, maybe you'd love the Spanish take on it. Día de amor y amistad-- day of love and friendship.

Dia de Amistad with these crazy kids? Yes please.
We started out this holiday season with our "John 3:16" bulletin board.
        "For God
                  so loved the world
                       that He gave His
                      only
               begotten
                      son so
                         that whoever
                    believes
                        in Him shall
                   have everlasting
                                 life."
Followed by many talks about how God is our very best valentine.

Our Valentine's Day craft.
Multiple reading buddy classes were spent creating various valentines and telling people reasons why we love them. We really focused on verbalizing our feelings of appreciation for each other as well as making sure our actions mirrored our words. Trust me, there were many, many discussions to be had about loving each other.
Crosswords. Please note this concentration.
The big day finally arrived and the students came to school ready to party. Ropa de color and everything. I spent the morning with my Grade Two's and we spent the first two classes doing our real work-- Language and Reading class. Let me tell you, one would have thought that I had 21 students all getting root canals. They were so unhappy to be having to do "real work". The 8:50 recess bell rang and the students went crazy knowing that the rest of the day was a party.
Mr. Cristian came to play with Grade Two.
Enter the room after recess and we filled the rest of the morning with Valentine's Day crosswords, Kiss the Lips on Miss Valentine, and soem heart related crafts. Lunchtime was spent chowing down on Pizzeria Cantonese and pastel. Enter-- sugar high.
Games with Grade Five.
After recess, I had the joy of hanging out with my rambuctious Grade One's. I lined them up and sent them up to Mr. Cristian's room. Grade Five's came down to hang out with me and we played about fifteen minutes of games before we rotated again and Grade Four graced me with their presence. We enjoyed fifteen minutes of random games before our final switch.
Girls versus Boys race in Grade Four.
Grade One's came back and we played some Bingo before heading outside to blow off some steam. Which quickly went sour because Mr. Cristian was having a water balloon/ water gun fight with his Grade Four's and I made my students watch. Worst. Teacher. Ever. I got lots of nasty comments including being called "Señora Aburrida". All afternoon. Especially when the Grade Four's doused me with some water, I shot them with some water guns, and I still made my students stand back and watch. Señora Aburrida, in the house.
Grade Four water fight.
Mr. Cristian versus Senora Aburrida. Holla.
Awfully unimpressed with me.
Lauren's class of Grade Five's met us in the comedor for our last class and led us in some wonderful games of Duck, Duck, Goose, Simon Says, Follow the Leader, and Red Light, Green Light. 23 out of 25 of my students LOVE hanging out with the big kids and were having the best time with the Grade Five's. The other two? Well, they were spending quality time with Miss Caitlin. In the classroom.

Elementary English staff.
And there you have it, my Happy Valentines Day 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment