Saturday, June 20, 2015

"So, what do you miss most about the States?"

There are some things that just never change when I am living abroad. Some things that I just know I can count on. Questions and statements such as,

"Isn't it really dangerous there?" Isn't it really dangerous in Detroit and Cleveland and NYC and....?

"Why would you leave the States?" Because there are other really great countries with really great things to offer?

"Find a cute Honduran/ Brazilian boy for me!" Listen. I haven't even found one for myself, let alone finding one for you.

"I could never do what you do." Yeah, I thought so, too, but here I am.

"You must like eating bugs." Yes, and living in dirt huts and going to the bathroom in outhouses. You watch too much Survivor.

"Have you seen a lot of butts in Brazil?" This one I can't really argue because, yes, I have.

"Aren't you glad to be home again?" Man, I don't even know what home is anymore. Don't ask hard questions.

I know that no one is being rude by these questions and comments, they're steaming from genuine concern and curiosity. All I'm saying is that these are the questions that I can absolutely count on hearing when I am in the States. Honestly, I feel a little let down when I don't hear some of them. But there is one question that I get more than any other, especially as I get closer and closer to returning to the States.

"What are you looking forward to most when you get back?" 

So much. So. So. Much. 

In honor of being Stateside for the first time in six months in exactly 14 days (but who is counting, really?)--14 things that I miss most while living abroad. Excluding my friends and family because I could write 14 things that I miss about each and every single one of them.

-- Cleveland Indians baseball games.
-- a dryer I can't tell if I've lost weight or if all my clothes have stretched out...
-- Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supremes-- I'm coming for you
-- Panera Broccoli and Cheddar bread bowls
-- Red Robin Crispy Chicken salad because there's nothing like feeling healthy while consuming 1300 calories
-- stores that sell cheap clothes my bank account is so happy right now, but I am not
-- Pandora radio iTunes radio just isn't the same
-- watching sporting events at a normal hour these NBA Final Games not starting until 11pm are kind of killing me
-- being able to just get in a car and go without relying on public transportation or worrying about sitting in traffic for over an hour
-- stores like Wal-Mart or Target where I can go in and get EVERYTHING I need A new swim suit and a phone case and some snacks-- all in one place! You will not understand the convenience of this until you live without it.
-- church services in English
-- being able to use my phone to make phone calls not that I do, but its nice to have the option
-- not having to wait months before receiving the packages of things I ordered online
-- having hot water to wash my dishes in it's like Little House on the Prairie over here when I have to heat pots of water over the stove

And just to offset the fact that I totally sound like a whiny, little brat who can't appreciate anything-- here's my view today while I rode my bike around the Lagoa. Rio can be so awesome.


1 comment:

  1. So looking forward to seeing you in 12 days!!!!
    Shall we just camp at The Jake? =)
    ~ Dad

    ReplyDelete