Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Faith.

Throughout my 23 years of life there are many skill sets that I've honed in on. Ones that I've perfected and mastered. Ones where I would confidently label myself as an expert. No where on that list of skills would you find anything remotely related to "completes a long term goal."

I've read that it takes 21 days to form a habit. Or is it 30? Either way, I haven't stuck anything out long enough to form it into a daily habit. And trust me, I've tried. I began countless years writing one sentence a day, every day in a journal in hopes of having a snapshot of that year come December 31. By the time March rolls around, my journal is usually under my bed collecting moth balls.

And don't even get me started on work out regimens. I've pinned, printed, hung up, and started more work outs that I can imagine. Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred would be perfect, right? Wrong. Three weeks in and I'm done. Sorry Jillian Michaels, but I just couldn't hack it.

So it doesn't come as much of a surprise that New Years Resolutions aren't really my thing. I think they're fantastic, don't get me wrong. But they just aren't for me. I could tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy and journal every day and work out so that I have a smokin' hot bod when I go back home, but really, I'm just setting myself up for failure. Because the reality of it is, my vegetables are going to rot in the fridge before I get a chance to eat them, my journal is going to be left blank, and my work out clothes are... still on the rack at the store because I don't even own them yet.

But then I came across One Word 365. The premise is simple.

Forget the New Years Resolutions. Just Choose One Word.



One word that you incorporate into your daily life. That pushes you, that changes you.

One word. I can definitely handle one word.

So I thought about it. For a whole two hours. I even slept on it. During my afternoon nap.

I wanted to do something cool, like "risk" or "embrace". But no matter how many times I told myself that I had found my word, I kept coming back to the word faith.


Okay, okay. I get it. Girl can pick up on hints, all right? And so faith it is. 


Which is actually way more appropriate than "risk" or "embrace", but slightly more terrifying. Faith implies that I'm not in control anymore. And coming from a girl who gave herself a stomach ulcer in the fifth grade because she worried too much about things out of her control, that's kind of a big deal. 


But the whole point of New Years Resolutions, the forming of new habits, or One Word 365 isn't to stay as you are. They're to change you, to pull you, to prod you, to make you feel uncomfortable. And, ultimately, to mold you into a better version of yourself. There are other words that would have been way easier for me to choose, and many come to mind, but they all defeat the purpose of One Word 365.


So, 2014, here we go. Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment