Tuesday, September 3, 2013

How Did YOU Feel On The First Day Of School?

Does the excitement of the first day of school ever go away? I was so, so, SO excited to see all my kids again on Wednesday. I was asleep before my head ever hit the pillow Thursday night and up the second my alarm started buzzing on Wednesday morning.


I am so happy to be back with my kids again this year. I'll be working with last year's Grade One students as this year's Grade Twos and will have a new batch of kids for Grade One. Despite the fact that this year's Grade Two kids are still a little bit insane, I think we're going to have a great year as it is our second year together and we already know each other.


Throughout the first week we had worked on various back to school activities. Grade Two is reading The Kissing Hand and Grade One is working on classroom routines and procedures with the help of Clifford and Clifford's Manners. Grade Two is already showing lots of improvements from last year and we've been able to have some great discussions about their feelings on the first day of school, how others could be feeling, etc.


I'm astounded at how smart Grade One is this year! They are FLYING through material already and are picking up a lot English. I'm excited to get to know each of them individually and to see what different sorts of activities we'll be able to do together this year.  It's still a little crazy to me how a different set of students can learn the same material entirely differently than the year before.


If you have read any previous blog post, you know that Grade One (current Grade Twos) and I went through our fair share of challenges last year. We went through a lot together and I didn't always realize how far each student came. This year's Grade Ones are fantastic, but they aren't starting the year where the students last year finished. Duh, right? Its through interacting with an entirely new group of Grade Ones that I realize how far each one of my current Grade Twos came in the year. I am so, so proud of each and every one of them and so blessed to be able to be their teacher for a second year.

No comments:

Post a Comment