Sunday, January 20, 2013

We're The Five Best Friends That Anyone Could Have.

I've said it once and I've said it again-- I have made some of the BEST friends while being down here in Honduras. Sarah and I have discussed, many times, about how awkward it is to just put yourself out there and made friends. Here we are, in our early 20's worried about making friends. But it's so true. It is not comfortable to go up to people and say "Hey, I don't know anyone here, will you please be friends with me?" But in the end it can be so, so worth it.

Case in point? Hector, Daniel, Cristian, Sarah, and myself.

At one point in time, we didn't know each other. We saw each other in passing and our conversations centered solely around teaching and our students. But then one day someone took that awkward step, someone reached outside of their comfort zone, and an incredible friendship was built.

I thank God each and every day for placing these wonderful people in my life. Multiple times a day I find myself thinking that I am so blessed to have such incredible friends-- both here and in the States.

After spending two long, treacherous weeks apart, the five of us decided to head on up to La Ceiba for some much needed R and R. And vitamin D. We left Sigua after school on Friday afternoon and stayed until Sunday mid-morning. I don't think we stopped laughing the entire time.

The highlight reel.
The weekend was filled with flat tires, sand sculptures, baleada eating on the beach, trash talking, and name calling. We listened to "Call Me Maybe" more times than I could count and more times than any of the guys would care to admit. But it made a perfect weekend.

La Ceiba from our hotel, Art Deco Hotel.
I love my friends. I love Honduras. I love this Honduran life of mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment